Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chao, Quilla! Salût, Paris! Ni Hao, Beijiao! Part One


Chao, Quilla! Salût, Paris! Ni Hao, Beijiao! Part One

This is my first actual post ever on this blog, and I want to describe my experience of leaving Colombia, more exactly my hometown Barranquilla (which I thought was ugly and uninteresting, I have to admit) and coming to Beijiao, the most uninteresting and ugliest place on planet Earth and its surroundings.

My THREE-DAY flight was supposed to begin at 9.00 am on a Saturday in May, but due to motherly superstitions, it all started at 5.00 am in the morning. Waiting, eating, talking, taking one picture here, one picture there, waiting, and for a change, waiting. But time passed by and there it was in front of us: the exit door. Hell, I didn’t cry once! (maybe trying to prove that… I have no idea what I was trying to prove or to whom) But my sister, oh boy! She was literally crying a river. My mom was just laughing at the whole thing, because she KNOWS, not thinks, KNOWS for sure that I am coming back.


There I was. Alone. Trying not to cry like a girl and waiting for the first of the three planes that would take me to my out-of-this-world adventure: working and living in China for a year.

No comments: